Bridge Ege claims that SEO drives 1000%+ more traffic, which highlights the importance of SEO while creating your website so it organically ranks on the search engine.
Although Google’s algorithm involves more than 200+ such points, one of the most debated & exciting points you will ever come across is whether domain name extension influences your search engine ranking or not.
Although the domain name extension is the last part of your website, i.e. ,.com, or.org, is it really influential? is the real question.
So before jumping into buying a unique domain name extension and NZ domain hosting, let’s understand what impact domain extension makes on SEO.
What is the relevance of getting the best domain extension for SEO?
The best domain name extensions refer to the uniqueness of the domain name, which helps to understand your website’s purpose or niche to your audience. For example, .online music is commonly associated with online music companies. When you have such an extension, it helps to create a sense of confidence and credibility in the mind of your audience.
Although on the part of SEO, there is a minimal direct impact of domain extension on the search engine ranking as Google mainly focuses on quality content, suitable keywords, user experience, and backlinks, i.e., to provide users with the most relevant and valuable search results.
Types of Domain Name extension and their impact on SEO
- Country Code Top-Level Domains
- Relevancy: Domain names that have country-specific extensions include. .uk, .de,.uae, which impact local SEO, helping search engines point to the website, that are country or region-specific.
- Advantage: It is helpful for targeting geographically specific businesses, as search engines prioritize local results for relevant queries.
- Generic Top-Level Domains
- Relevancy: A domain name that has .blog or .store is a generic domain name, and its impact on SEO is similar to traditional extensions, but they help search engines to point at content of relevance.
- Advantage: Such domain extensions are flexible, but SEO impact needs improvement.
- Other Vanity Domains
- Relevancy: Vanity domains are specific types of domain names that are chosen for their originality, memorability, or branding value rather than for their keyword relevance or direct association with the content or purpose of a website.
Such domains are usually selected to reflect a specific brand, personal name, or a distinct term related to the business or individual. The purpose is to create a memorable and easily recognizable web address.
- Advantage: Such domain extensions are used by tech startups for branding and associations, and with quality content, they can enhance value.
- Domain Authority & Backlinks
- Relevancy: Domain name extensions like .edu or .gov may be used to show associations with trusted institutions.
- Advantage: Websites with these extensions may receive higher CTRs in search results, impacting SEO positively. SEOs often aim for backlinks from such domains for perceived authority.
- Incidences of Spam
- Relevancy: Domain extensions, like .info, may be associated with spam due to affordability, leading to the creation of low-value sites.
- Advantage: While Google may not officially endorse the association, low click-through rates on such domains can impact SEO, making them less suitable for money sites.
So, if you’re still confused about how to choose a domain name extension, then the simple answer is to understand the implications of each domain extension.
Also, understand that domain stretchings are capable of influencing user perception and potentially impact SEO indirectly, but their direct effect on search rankings is minimal.